_

Sunday, November 21, 2010

One Step Closer

The weeks are flying by and today I find myself one step closer to the second phase of my DTS—Outreach! We leave two weeks from yesterday for Chile! We are still praying earnestly for the funds to come in. We’ve been raking leaves in the neighborhood and next Saturday we are hosting a “Crepe Dinner” for the community. Please pray for this event—that many people come and are blessed and that God provides the funds we need.


I’ve also been very busy helping coordinate a clothing drive for the flood in Pakistan. The flood happened this summer but the need is still VERY great. Our DTS has been spreading the word to the Harpenden community about the need for clothing, blankets, and money. It’s been amazing to see the Lord provide! The people here are generously donating old clothing and blankets. This has been a great opportunity for me to get more connected with both the YWAM and Harpenden community. We’ve been busy printing flyers and distributing them to local homes, businesses, and our churches. Tonight we even have a spot on the radio to share about this cause! I’ve enjoyed having a part in this appeal and contributing to this community during the short time I’m here.


This week our speaker was Ray Rempt from Seattle, Washington. It was nice to have another North Westerner around :) He didn’t really speak on one particular topic but rather he shared some things the Lord was putting on his heart. He gave us many nuggets of information to chew on. He was very passionate and shared some great testimonies. One thing he spoke on that really stuck with me was God’s goodness. It is a simple truth but we often forget it or give into the lie that He’s not. Ray enthusiastically reminded us that God is so good and He wants good for us. He wants us to enjoy our lives! He’s not a joy robber, He’s a joy giver! He created the earth and everything in it that we might enjoy it. God designed us with an ability to enjoy—we’re not just meant to “survive.” My favorite example was about food—God gave us taste buds and He gave us good food. He wants us to enjoy it! I love food so this was nice to hear :) While listening to these truths, I realized that I’ve given into the lie that God’s out to make me uncomfortable. When speakers talk about surrendering our lives to Christ and giving Him all of our rights, I am hesitant and maybe even a little scared. My mind automatically thinks about the things in life that I would least like to do or experience, and I think God is going to make me do those things. This is not true! Sure, we are called to get out of our comfort zone because God wants to use us and exhibit His strength, but He wants us to enjoy life! He delights in seeing us do the things we enjoy. This was refreshing for me to hear.


I’ve also been learning a lot from the book I’m reading for my book report, “Forgotten God” by Francis Chan. This book is about the neglect of the Holy Spirit in the church today. Francis challenges people to break free from what they’ve always been taught about the Holy Spirit and to look to the Bible for understanding. He discusses fears people have about the Holy Spirit. If we ask for more of the Spirit, we fear we will either get too much or not enough. Francis says it’s important to first examine yourself and ask if you are really willing to do the will of the Holy Spirit. He asks, “Where does your allegiance lie? Do you care about what people think when they see you, or do you care about seeking the truth concerning the Spirit of God and then living in light of the truth, holding to those promises, and enjoying the relationship?” This book has really challenged my thinking and has addressed many of the fears and questions I’ve had about the Holy Spirit. I would definitely recommend it! I am learning the most about the Holy Spirit here on my DTS and realizing that I was really missing out. The same spirit that raised Jesus from the dead lives in you and me! We really should engage that spirit and that power and allow Christ to use us for His glory!


I’ve felt a little homesick this past week thinking about the holidays coming up. In England, Christmas is already everywhere because they don’t celebrate Thanksgiving. I’ve enjoyed recalling memories of my family at Christmas time. It just makes me so much more appreciative of the wonderful family God has given me. I’m excited to spend this Christmas with a new family and to see what God has in store. I have to admit, I’m really going to miss turkey and dressing and pumpkin pie on Thursday. I think the base may be cooking a meal, but it definitely won’t be the same as a Gadach Family Thanksgiving :) I plan to skype my family a couple of times on Thursday—once in the morning around the time my dad and I are usually tearing the bread for the dressing and watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, and once in the afternoon when the whole family is at our house so I can say hello.


I hope you have a very wonderful Thanksgiving appreciating the gifts God has blessed you with! Eat lots of Turkey for me :)


Last Sunday our outreach team had a meal together. I love fellowshiping over food :) I'm so excited to get to know my team members more and to share some amazing experiences together!


The three American girls on my outreach team. Mera (from Oregon), Shelby (from Arizona) and me.


This is a poster for our "Crepe Dinner"fundraiser. Your prayers are appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. Nice boots, they are tall on your leg. Go team America, and all other countries are awesome too! I like that picture. Can't wait to skype you Thursday, sounds like you are going SOOO well! I like the Holy Spirit thought process with the taste buds. Such great theology, I'm proud of you Darcy, glad your my sister, keep tearing it up for Jesus over there! I love you!

    ReplyDelete