_

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Week in Paraguay

Greetings from Paraguay! I am alive! I've been wanting to update my blog all week, but here we are using internet from a family and I haven't had enough time to sit down and write. Our time here has been a much different experience than in Pichilemu. Here we've been staying with a man named Renee and his family. Right now they represent YWAM Paraguay but thanks to God they are expanding. We had the priviledge of being involved this week in the ground breaking of new land for the base of YWAM Paraguay. We, along with a group of young people from a local Chinese church, helped pick up trash, cleared out weads, and began to prepare the field for construction. We also got to plan and host the first YWAM Paraguay event on that property to show the neighborhood what the organization is all about. We planned and prepared a kids program. The morning of, we went around the neighborhood knocking on doors to invite children. We had no idea how many kids would come. We prayed for many, and God answered. There were over 150 kids/parents! It was incredible! It was amazing to be a part of the beginning of great things to come for YWAM Paraguay. Not only did we get to love on the children, but through our actions, we demonstrated to the parents that we care and that we wanted to serve them.

Renee told us that the Paraguayan people can be very closed off and have a hard time building trust. For them, the most effective way to share God's love is by doing acts of service. They are very observant people and so to them, seeing Christians do something speaks more to their hearts than trying to just have a conversation. During the kids program, I got to talking with a 16 year old girl who brought her nephew. She opened up to me about her life and her family and how because of her circumstances, she has a hard time beliving in God. I was able to pray with her and for her family. It was such a special moment for me. She thanked me and our team for being there and for preparing this time for the kids. To me it was just an example of how much God can use us if we're just willing to say "Here I am, Lord. Use me!" All we did was plan a small children's program and God sent the people. We showed that we cared by playing some games, singing some songs, acting out a lesson, and passing out some candy. This really touched the young girl I spoke with, and through it the Lord softened her heart towards Him. It's so amazing how He works!

During our week here I kept thinking of the scripture in Luke 10:2-3 which says, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." In YWAM Paraguay, the harvest was ready. The Lord has been preparing that land and it was through a miracle that YWAM received it. All it needed were some workers. God sent our team to Paraguay to begin the work. The afternoon with the kids was such an amazing demonstration of a release of God's love and faithfulness. All He needs are willing workers and His work just takes off!

We leave by plane to Santiago on Thursday and have a week there before we head back to Harpenden to switch our summer clothes for our winter clothes and then we head to Northern Ireland. God has been doing amazing things and I can't even begin to describe how He is changing me/growing me/challenging me. I am excited for the next 4 weeks of outreach and what He has in store. I'm also getting to a point where I am getting a bit low on energy, missing friends and family, etc. Please pray for strength for the next 4 weeks and that I would live in the moment, not thinking too far into the future :)

It's been really hard to not be able to maintain close contact with everyone. I hope you are doing well. I would love an update, even though I may not be able to respond to you right away. Sending my love from South America!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Darcy, your accounts are so inspiring! I will be embracing that you hold onto the moments as they come, vs. trying to plan ahead on where God "might" want to lead you....

    ReplyDelete