_

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

With The Lord Our Bond Is Strong....

Time is flying by! I leave for England on Friday afternoon! I can’t believe it’s finally here. It doesn’t feel real to me. I’ve done so much to prepare for this trip, yet I feel so unprepared because I just don’t really know what to expect. These last few weeks I’ve been feeling like I need to be mentally and spiritually preparing for this 6 month adventure, but then I realized, I don’t really think I can. This is where trust comes in. If you know me, you know I like to be prepared and have a plan, which is why I like predictable situations. Obviously leaving the country for 6 months and not even knowing where I will be for the latter half of the trip is not a predicable situation. The Lord’s been telling me to quiet my mind, and just trust in Him. He is the only one who knows what is going to happen during my time away—He has already paved the way for me in England and in the other country I will travel to. I just need to keep reminding myself of this. I am very excited for the journey ahead, but I am getting very nervous to leave the familiarity of home. I would appreciate your continued prayers for COURAGE, and continued reminders of God’s promises, that He is in control and He will never leave me.

The last few weeks have been busy working at the Fair and seeing friends before I leave. On Monday evening my friends Kate and Laurel came from Eugene for dinner. We had a great time laughing and reminiscing about our years spent together at Trinity. Then that evening we met up with friends Sarah, Ryan, and Scott. Ryan had just been at my YWAM base this summer so it was cool to see pictures and hear about his visit to England. Then on Tuesday morning I met my friend Kristi for coffee. Just a few weeks ago I was seeing her off to Bolivia for a mission trip (the same trip I did two summers ago). It was great to hear all about her time in Bolivia and then to have her see me off before my journey. I then had lunch with my childhood friend, Kaitlin. I consider it so special to have known her practically since I was born when my family moved in next door to hers. Today I had coffee with my friend Katy who came all the way from Portland (where she just started graduate school at Lewis and Clark) to see me. I enjoyed talking with her about Europe as she spent 3 months there a couple of summers ago. I then had lunch with my friend Danielle who was passing through Salem. She was my “little sister” at Trinity her freshman year and we’ve grown close ever since. This last year I had the amazing privilege of baptizing her at a CCF retreat. After lunch, my friend Betsey stopped by my house to say goodbye. We had a nice chat about what’s to come and she gave me some amazing advice—she is so encouraging. To top off my day, this evening I headed over to my friend Lauren’s apartment where we chatted over hot tea and baked some delicious chocolate chip cookies. Looking back at this past week, I am so thankful for my wonderful friends and how the Lord has used them to encourage me. Thank you to everyone who has supported me as I get ready to leave. I am blessed.


This is a picture of my family at the Oregon State Fair. We had a little "surprise" party for my Dad because it was his 40th and last Oregon State Fair. I'm proud of you, Dad!


Laurel, Me, and Kate at La Hacienda, my favorite Mexican restaurant. I had to go there one more time before I leave.


I wanted to share one more thing. I was listening to this Caleb & Sol song called “Goodbye” and I found I could relate to some of the lyrics. The chorus says:


“I wish I could bring you along on this journey

But I got a place in my heart for y’all, and Lord, give me strength

I wish I could be there when you cry and you need somebody

But with the Lord our bond is strong and strong enough to keep us moving on…”


The Lord has blessed me with the most amazing family and wonderful friends. I’m so thankful for the people in my life. I wish I could bring you all along on this journey! My hope for this blog is that you can follow me and I can follow you. Even though I will be far away from home, I still want to stay connected and to hear about what’s going on in your lives. Please keep in touch and let me know how I can be praying for you.


I’m spending tomorrow with my mom, getting pedicures, and packing (since I’ve been seeing all my wonderful friends, I haven’t fully packed yet!). Then Friday I head to Phoenix where I will meet a girl named Shelby who is in my DTS and we will fly together to London. We should arrive in London on Saturday afternoon. Please pray for safe and smooth travel!

No comments:

Post a Comment